Okay I am just going to say this - networking events can either be wonderful energetic experiences or soul sapping encounters. Luckily each event I have been too over the past few months have been the first. After having this conversation with John (okay names have been changed to protect the innocent J), it made me realise that I had been attending these current events with a completely different intention then what I did years ago.
Below are 3 steps that you can use to make the most of your networking events.
1. Set your intention - so before you walk into an event, be very clear on what you want from this event. For me, my intention is to 'build and create relationships' and I know that by focusing on this intention I don't allow any soul sapping to occur.
2. Be who you are - don't try to be someone else, people will spot this a mile off. Allow your own greatness to shine through and the magic will happen. If you need to be 'on' than its time to move on! Find another person to speak with, someone who you can connect with as you.
3. Once you've connected, then you can educate - Take the time to find out about the individual on a personal & professional level. As the relationship develops and you find out more about what they do, their issues, ideas or activities, then educate them on what you do that solves their problems. Real connections create a reason to continue the relationship beyond the first meeting.
I'd love to hear any of your tips on how to go from "pitching" to building relationships. I'm sure we can all benefit from the nuggets of how you connect with new people. Please post your comments below.
Below are 3 steps that you can use to make the most of your networking events.
1. Set your intention - so before you walk into an event, be very clear on what you want from this event. For me, my intention is to 'build and create relationships' and I know that by focusing on this intention I don't allow any soul sapping to occur.
2. Be who you are - don't try to be someone else, people will spot this a mile off. Allow your own greatness to shine through and the magic will happen. If you need to be 'on' than its time to move on! Find another person to speak with, someone who you can connect with as you.
3. Once you've connected, then you can educate - Take the time to find out about the individual on a personal & professional level. As the relationship develops and you find out more about what they do, their issues, ideas or activities, then educate them on what you do that solves their problems. Real connections create a reason to continue the relationship beyond the first meeting.
I'd love to hear any of your tips on how to go from "pitching" to building relationships. I'm sure we can all benefit from the nuggets of how you connect with new people. Please post your comments below.

Hi Deb, Just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed your newsletter today! It's got such clarity and energy, just what I needed today. Thank You! Flora
ReplyDelete